Happy 8th of March! Happy Women’s Day! In Medina Reeds we are proud of the world of music and the oboe because we have recognized and fantastic female oboists that inspire us every day.
Today we have decided to pay a small tribute to some of these female oboists and although we surely are missing many of them, we take into account all of them:
- Nuria Cabezas: Her career as an interpreter has given her the opportunity to offer concerts with Symphony Orchestras, chamber groups and as a soloist in Europe, Asia, America and Africa for more than fifteen years. Now she has set up her own educational project online: MusicBayside. We had the pleasure to interview her, read her interview here.
- Miriam Pastor Burgos: She has participated in many orchestras, among them the Berliner Philharmoniker and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. She is currently a professor at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam since December 2015. She was our oboist for the month of January.
- Jennifer Paull: Jennifer Paull is a soloist of oboe d’amore (alto oboe). Her career has been devoted to research works for all the rare members of the Oboe family, in particular the oboe d’amore.
- Cristina Gómez Godoy: “The oboist Cristina Gómez Godoy combines technical brilliance with musical expressiveness, virtuosity with artistic delicacy and possesses a” prodigious natural instinct “SÜDDEUTSCHE ZEITUNG.
- Lindsay Cooper: she was a bassoon and oboe musician, composer and English political activist .. She wrote scores for film and television.
- Ariana Ghez: She is a classic oboist from the United States. From 2006 to 2017, she was the principal oboist of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. In 2017
- Diana Doherty: is an Australian oboist, currently Oboe principal at the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
Elaine Douvas: is Oboe Principal of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra in New York City since 1977.
- Katherine Needleman: is the main oboist of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, USA.
- Kate St. John: Katharine Elinor Margaret St John is an English musician, vocalist, composer, producer and arranger. She plays the oboe, the saxophone, the accordion, the piano and the English horn.
Do you know any other oboist that you want us to add?